I have a MacBook Pro 2012 15” with MacOS 10.15.2. This suddenly shut down while working on it. Every time I try to restart it gets to the user sign in and then turns off and restarts unless I keep moving the trackpad. It Will then restart and work fine provided I keep moving the cursor or keep typing. If I stop for 6 seconds it turns off and restarts.
Also, at the same time:
- the backspace key stopped working
- the battery indicator doesn’t show in the taskbar (after SMC reset)
- the fan runs constantly (after SMC reset)
- System Preferences > Energy Saver shows current battery charge as 0% and if I click “show battery status in menu bar” it immediately de- selects itself
- the battery doesn’t recharge (it has gone completely flat now and will only start when plugged in).
- when he power cord is plugged in, the LED is a very very faint green (as opposed to red for charging or bright green for charged)
- the keyboard is no longer backlit
- -it doesn’t sleep when the lid is closed
A few notes:
- I hadn’t been online or installed any software for over a month prior to this since I work on a ship, and I had been using the machine daily.
- it still does it if I start in safe mode
- I performed an SMC reset. This led to some of the additional problems, as indicated above. I tried another SMC reset but to no avail.
- i have tried resetting the NVRAM
- after the battery ran down I have left it plugged in overnight in case it might fully charge the battery. It did not.
Any suggestions as to what is going on and whether I can fix this. Or might this be a motherboard failure?