I have just upgraded one iMac to Catalina (iMac2). I have been keeping every user's Photos Library on a shared external volume with ownership turned off. This was working perfectly in High Sierra.
Today I was unable to open two of those photos libraries.
Sequence of events:
- Double clicked on photos library.
- Apple photos started to "Update" the library to be used in Catalina. It shows "100% Complete".
- Then the warning pops up, "This photos library is locked, or you do not have permissions to make changes to it. Photos can try to repair the permission."
- I click on "Repair". It asks me to enter and Administrator password. I do that.
- It runs it's repair procedure, then… "Photos was unable to open the library "library name". (1000)
I have tried this on two different user accounts that were accessing their Photos Library stored on that drive and it's happened to both.
The second odd thing is that when I mount the shared volume on iMac2, it is modifying the permissions for the volume. Removing "staff" permissions every time.